Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Visit to the ER

Last Thursday I was getting Ellis ready to leave in the morning and as part of that she always has a cup of milk on my lap before we leave. Almost immediately after I gave her the cup she kind of cried a little and then started acting really wierd. Her body was really rigid and stiff and she was acting like she couldn't get comfortable. I moved her off my lap and onto the couch and she still was really rigid, moving very weirdly and kind of grunting a little. I was really confused by what was going on so I moved her to the floor, thinking she was uncomfortable. On the floor she would not stand up, but slid to the ground, was still rigid and the top of her was going one way, the bottom of her was going another way and her legs kept coming up by her head. She was not looking at me and she wouldn't answer me or anything. I kept calling her name and trying to get her to react to me but she wouldn't. Anyway, so this went on for about 30 seconds, then i just picked her up and she went limp in my arms. It took her about 2 more minutes to snap out of it and start interacting with me. She was very clingy and didn't want to be put down, but at least she was reacting to me. Since the "episode" was over and she seemed to be better, I just chalked it up to bad stomach pains and headed out the door. By the time we got to the car, she was talking with me and giggling, so I figured I would call her pediatrition when they opened. But as I was driving, I kept thinking about what happened and I was terrified that it might have been a seizure. I kept thinking about it, so when the pediatrition opened, I called them and explained what happened. The nurse was pretty confident that it was a seizure so she said to take her to the ER and get a seizure work-up done. That put me over the edge - I was terrified that something was wrong with my precious little girl. Anyway, so Loni and I took her to the ER. Thank goodness, it was Thursday morning at like 9:00 am, so we got right in. The dr took some X-rays and urine samples and came back with a Febrile Seizure as the explanation. A febril seizure happens at the onset of a fever that is rising too quickly for the body to adjust. It is very common and though it was still a type of seizure, I was glad to hear it was not life threatening. He sent us away to watch her carefully over the next couple days and to come back if things change. She had a fever during the remainder of Thursday, but Friday she was all better. She is the love of my life and I don't know how I could go on if something happened to her. Thanks to all of our family and friends for their support. Here are some pics of her at the ER - she was still beautiful even during all the tests they were doing on her at the ER.




2 comments:

Kyla Stevens said...

that is really scary. I'm sorry. and relieved to know ellis is okay. sounds like you guys have had some craziness going on there. call me when you get a chance.

Lauren said...

How scary! I'm glad to hear she is doing well now. She's looks so cute - even in a hospital gown!