Monday, August 24, 2009

Sundays....*sigh*

So, before having a kid, I remember Sundays as being very relaxing and restful filled with lounging about, reading books and enjoying church. Now that I have a two-year old, I am filled with fond memories of those peaceful Sundays because they do not exist anymore. Especially during church time. Especially Sacrament meeting. Ellis has not been a great sitter and does not have an inside voice, and she seems to choose Sacrament meetings as the time to really make these traits known - to the whole congregation. Here is a timeline of how our sacrament meeting went yesterday:

12:30 - 12:40 : getting settled in and Ellis asking for a sucker(a DumDum which is my quite trick that will usually keep her occupied for about 10 mins). I keep telling her that she has to wait until after the bread and water are passed, which subdues her for about 1 minute before she is asking again. Opening song and prayer are given and the whole time she is talking about her sucker.

12:40 - 12:45: Ellis constantly moving from Loni to I; I give her some paper to color on. She is good for about 2 minutes and then starts asking me to draw pictures for her (mermaids, grandpa, sucker, Donnie - whatever she is thinking of at that moment). Still asking for sucker, but thankfully the bread is getting ready to be passed. Take the bread and proceeds to ask LOUDLY for her sucker. I tell her the water still needs to be passed. She protests LOUDLY.

12:45 - 12:50: Prayer for water is getting ready to be said. Ellis chimes in with "NO PRAYER...NOOOOOOOO!" Finally we get her to quiet down. Water is passed and she takes hers, then while I am getting mine, she starts sipping out of another cup - while it is in the tray! Once the water leaves us, she immediately asks for her SUCKER, which i tell her she can not have until everyone who is passing the water sits down.

12:50 - 12:55 : Ellis gets her sucker and is happy for this little while. Then she starts talking loudly. Loni threatens that he will take away her sucker if she doesn't whisper.

12:55 - 1:35: LONG meeting filled with squirming, bouncing between Loni and I, whining to see Jaida, trying to climb onto the bench in front of us, being taken out of the room 2 times, protesting about singing and prayers, coloring, giving me loud kisses, speaking very loudly and being obnoxious to everyone in the room.

So we finally get out of sacrament meeting and ship her off to Nursery *Thank Goodness*! Once in the car after church, she beats the world record and falls asleep before we are out of the parking lot. Oh, sweet relaxing Sundays - how i miss thee!

8 comments:

Lauren said...

I feel your pain. Sundays are brutal for us too - especially Stake Conference, which we had yesterday.

Mamie said...

oh wow does that sound familiar.
Lucy likes to grab HANDFULS of bread and also says hi (LOUDLY) to all of her friends and their parents by name throughout the meeting.

I admit, though, it makes me smile. One day I can see that we'll miss it...

Sara said...

I was right with you Sunday. Usually Lucas does pretty well, but not this week! Was there a full moon or something? holy cow, I had NO patience. 3 hours is just too long for our little people!

Kelly said...

This too shall pass...

Miss you! Post a photo of your baby!

Kyla Stevens said...

My kids are crazy too. Luckily the whold back section of our church is filled with kids and is very loud. The most frustrating part for me is that I don't hear anything on sundays because I am a nursery teacher (I do love my calling regardless) and then wrestling my kids through the talks. Someday I'll get spiritual upliftment from church.......

Anonymous said...

That is HILARIOUS- and good thing you have record of it- because someday you'll laugh histerically about it- because I am :)! But I know what you mean, but just know that it gets better and so much easier... believe me I've been there :)! And some days I'm STILL there!!! Hope you guys are doing good.

Supermom said...

We're with you. I feel your pain.

The Wi Family said...

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one!!! Thanks for sharing :) I'd like to tell you it gets easier with 2, but well you know. Rachel's not bad when i remind her she has to teach Jenna to do the right things--keeps her thinking at least :) Luckily most in the congregation have been there before and probably don't even hear half of what we do.